Tuesday, June 27, 2017

ACTFL standards and other skills

After reading the ACTFL stance on technology in language learning, one statement that I connected with is: “The use of technology should never be the goal in and of itself, but rather one tool for helping language learners to use the target language in culturally appropriate ways to accomplish authentic tasks.” This statement should be at the center of all content area teaching. If we get so caught up in using a technology tool that we forget what our end goal is, then we shouldn’t be using it. I also believe that if the time to complete the task more than doubles, it is also not worth it.

I feel like the position statement is thorough and comprehensive. It highlights that a qualified language teacher cannot be replaced with technology, but still must play a pivotal role in facilitating learning. The stance also recognizes the benefits of technology to differentiate and enhance instruction. In the end, the recommendation is for qualified language teacher to own the responsibility for language instruction, rather than technology programs alone. There is nothing more that I would want to have included at this time.

My goal for the role of technology in my classroom is as an enhancement and tool. Because my classroom is 1:1, I see it as a great way to conserve paper resources, in addition to hosting a wealth of authentic resources and preparing my students with 21st century skills. Using technology keeps instruction relevant to students. It allows them to make, create, collaborate and connect with others. I also believe that technology should only be part of instruction, not the goal alone.

Connected learning is a model of learning that combines a student’s interests in a socially meaningful way with peers while recognizing the need for academic success. It encourages actively creating and producing with a shared purpose using technology tools.  

One activity that do in my classroom is expository writing about interests. I feel like I could incorporate a connected learning framework by using a networking site like epals to connect my students with students in a German classroom, where they practice their writing (and reading) skills in a meaningful context. They would also learn e-mail jargon and etiquette, in addition to sharing interests with a peer in another country.

21st century learning is a framework for education that emphasizes the 4 C’s of learning: critical thinking, communication, collaboration, and creativity, while integrating career and technology skills with 21st century themes to ensure a lifetime of student success.

An activity that I complete in class has to do with the theme of weather. My students watch/listen to and interpret a weather forecast in German. As an extension, utilizing technology literacy, I could have students listen to an emergency weather report about an approaching storm (which might be shorter than a typical forecast) and then write a text message in German to a friend as a warning.

In terms of an online tool that I would use, I would have students send me a direct message (via text message) through the free program, Remind, which I already use to communicate with students and parents. Adding this text message activity to my lesson would add no more than 1-15 extra minutes of instructional time, or could be assigned as a homework assignment. The only issues that I could foresee arising are accent codes, or text jargon, so a mini-lesson in advance of this assignment would work well.

No comments:

Post a Comment