Friday, July 21, 2017

SAMR vs. TPACK

Today I’m going to review and compare / contrast two models of technology integration. Both models are new to me as an educator.

SAMR stands for Substitution Augmentation Modification and Redefinition. This model was created by Dr. Ruben Puentedura. He likens the SAMR model to moving up a ladder as you use technology in the classroom, progressing from enhancing learning with substitution and augmentation to transforming learning through modification and redefinition. The goal is to reflect on your teaching to move up the ladder to redefinition.

TPACK stands for Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge and it demonstrates its model through three overlapping circles: Content Knowledge, Pedagogical Knowledge, and Technological Knowledge. TPACK is the arc in the center where all three circles overlap, combining what teachers know with how they teach and how they use technology in their classrooms.

Personally, the TPACK model resonates with me most, as it combines sound content knowledge (in this case, world language content knowledge), with the art of teaching (including know how to assess and appropriately use instructional strategies) and technological knowledge (knowing how to select, use and integrate technology into the curriculum).  I feel that the SAMR focuses too much solely on technology, whereas the TPACK model emphasizes that technology is just a part of great teaching.

Using the TPACK model to reflect on my own teaching and practices, I feel like I have had quite the journey over the past 14 years of teaching. I came into the profession with strong content knowledge in my languages (German & Spanish), and some basic pedagogical knowledge. I advanced to combine the two and then add technological content as the years progressed and technology became more available. I now feel like I try hard to balance all three, but perhaps I’m still not quite in the middle; I balance two at a time. I hope to continue on the path to have a nice balance between all three.

One activity that do in class that I would like to enhance is writing. Many years ago I transitioned into using GoogleDocs with my students so that they can collaborate and I can give live feedback on their writing. I would like to take it a step further though. When students work individually on a writing prompt, I would like to try having them share with a peer for initial feedback and correction. I would also like to utilize an online portfolio where students can keep all of their work over their (up to) four years of learning German or Spanish so that they can see progress. I would use a tool like SeeSaw.  As far as I know, my district does not have a district-wide account, but I am not sure. I will have the opportunity to train on this tool later this summer, so I am interested in its use.

I don’t believe that this tool will take a particularly long time to use. Adding an extra peer edit to a writing prompt will add some time, but having my students house their final writing drafts in SeeSaw should be relatively simple. The only issues I foresee is sometimes going from GoogleDocs to another program. So, I believe that trying it out myself as a student the first time would proactively mitigate any issues that might arise.

My residual question is whether students will see value in having an online portfolio for all of their writing. I guess I’ll never know unless I try.

No comments:

Post a Comment