Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Tech Tool Reflection: Wheel Decide

I first learned about Wheel Decide from the blog, World Language Classroom. This tool can be used as an interactive speaking and writing activity for practice in the target language. The site is free and the wheels can be saved and even embedded in a classroom learning management system, like Schoology.

In my classroom, I can see using Wheel Decide to practice rote verb conjugation, as suggested on the blog. It would give my students a different way to approach the subject and give struggling students extra practice while perhaps still engaging advanced learners. Additionally, I could see using it in reverse, by giving a conjugated verb and asking the students to choose a subject that matches. I teach geography in German 1, both of the federal states and capitals in Germany, and also the countries and capitals of central Europe. To review or practice these topics, I would list either the state/country or the capital and ask students to identify the other. When facilitating these types of practice/review activities, I would use whole group instruction, while having students work in pairs to think/pair/share.

I believe this tool is a worthwhile tool to utilize in my classroom for brief periods of practice and review, especially useful to break up the long 85-minute block. It would also allow my students to formcollaborative relationships with their peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment