Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Tech Tool Reflection: Snapchat

If there’s one tech application that my students use the most right now, it is Snapchat. It has taken me a while to catch on and understand this tool, but my students use it in excess. When I read about a project using Snapchat on Madame Techie’s blog, I knew I needed to read further. Snapchat is a camera application where images or videos are only available for a limited amount of time. Users can send direct messages but also add images and videos to their own personal story.

Madame Techie was initially of the opinion that Snapchat could not be used in the classroom, as was I. However, upon further examination, she decided that the uses are limitless. Possibilities include interpretive listening, interpersonal communication, presentational writing and presentational speaking. Due to the editing options, filters and lenses can be added to pictures, including images, writing and animal faces. A new feature is the ability to archive snaps. Snaps can also be saved and downloaded, and turned into memes. These images can be used in conjunction with Thinglink, Google Maps, EdPuzzle, etc.

I believe that this tool will be useful in my classroom due to its versatility and high student interest level. All aspects of language learning can be achieved using Snapchat as a starting point. Students can even collaborate using this tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment